From 1698-1716, Leibnizhaus was the home of Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz (1646-1716), one of the last universal scholars and polymaths of the old Europe. In Paris and London, Leibniz had been in contact with the leading mathematicians, philosophers and natural scientists of his time. Yet he conceived his essential philosophical and mathematical ideas in Hannover. Moreover, he had a profound influence on the systematic organisation of culture and education and inspired the sciences of jurisprudence, history, and
religion. At the Elector’s Court, open-minded and widely travelled Leibniz worked as advisor, Court
Librarian and genealogist.
In world-war II (1943), the original Leibnizhaus was destroyed in an air strike. In 1983, it was rebuilt at its current location in the center of Hannover‘s historic old-town. Today it serves as the guesthouse and
conference-center of the Universities, Colleges and Academies in Hannover. The facade was
reconstructed after the model of the early baroque facade, dating back to 1652.
Leibniz University Hannover
30159 Hannover, Germany
The central station with its connection to intercity and suburban railways is within a 10-minutes’ walking distance. A subway station (Station Markthalle/Landtag) and a bus stop (Friedrichswall) are within
walking distance as well. From the Central Station, suburban train S 5 takes you to Hannover Airport within 25 minutes.